Produce relevant, compelling and factually correct news, analysis, feature and other content on issues relevant and pertaining to the Eastern Cape for News24 and its national audience to strict deadlines each day.
- Investigate and research article content for news, analysis and feature stories on newsworthy issues and events in the Eastern Cape and South Africa;
- Produce enterprise news ideas and stories focusing on court and crime, education, politics, social ills and human interest which will set the national news agenda;
- Produce breaking news according to News24’s standards and norms;
- Maintain and grow a diverse network of contacts across all sectors, including, but not limited to, provincial, local and national government, schools, universities, think tanks, NGOs and interest groups.
- Write quality news and feature articles, adhering to strict deadlines;
- Create target-market-specific articles;
- Generate at least one in-depth feature ideas per quarter;
- Adhere to the quality, style and content standards as laid out and required by News24;
- Comply with the requirements of the South African Press Code;
Skills & Competencies:
- A strong and deep understanding of the social ills plaguing the province, the workings of local and provincial governments, the police and the politics of the region.
- Able to write fluently and clearly in English;
- Creativity in problem-solving and idea generation;
- Able to work under extreme pressure and to strict deadlines;
- Good time management and the ability to multitask effectively and follow through;
- Sound news judgment;
- Knowledge of the online news environment;
- Demonstrable network of contacts in the education sector;
- Demonstrable attention to detail;
- Good people skills;
- Sound decision-making abilities
- Persistence and results orientation;
- Questioning and listening skills;
- The ability to work independently;
- Diploma or degree in journalism, languages or media studies
- Experience writing for a mainstream newspaper or magazine or reporting for an online or wire news operation or a broadcast news service;
- Good general knowledge;
- Knowledge of topical issues and current affairs;
- Valid driver’s licence;
- Passion for media.
Given the employment equity policy of Media24, preference will be given to suitable candidates from the designated groups.